On the Komperdell Mountain a fire pit was found which suggests that this area was used as a pasture or as a hunting area during the Bronze Age, around 3200 years ago. Many of the names of features in the local landscape are reminders of pre-Roman and Celtic settlements. The town of Serfaus was first mentioned in documents dating from the 11th century. It is also interesting that the settlement of the towns of See and Kappl came from See. At the end of the 19th century the first tourists came to Serfaus and this became one of the key sources of revenue within just a few decades. Today there are around 900,000 overnight stays each year in the town, making it one of the frontrunners in Tyrol.
A huge fire in 1942 destroyed many houses and these were only rebuilt after the war. Older sections of the village still show features of a Rhaeto-Romanic clustered village today. In the 1970s the village road was closed off to private traffic for access to the ski area. Upon the opening of the underground suspension railway in 1985, cars were then almost completely banned from the town. The railway connected the car parking area to various stations in the town and there was no charge for using it. It is also the second-shortest metro in the world.